Post-Graduation Work Permit Application Timeline Extended

It comes as great news for the International students currently on a Study Permit, and who desire to remain in Canada on Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). As per the previous rules, to file for PSWP, students were required to apply within 90 days of receiving the final examination marks from the respective colleges. Also, they needed a valid study permit for applying for PGWP, which is no longer a requirement.

As on February 14, 2019, the Government of Canada has made some student-friendly modifications in their PGWP timeline and with these new changes they have ensured the students can get more time to apply for a work permit. The earlier timeline was 90 days from issuance of final marks card, which has now doubled to 180 days, i.e. 6 months. In simpler terms, from a timeline of 3 months, the Government has doubled it to 6 months!!

Moreover, they have eradicated the rule of having a valid Study Permit at the time of applying for PGWP. This comes as big relief for the students, as the Study Permits, are issued only for the designated study duration and academic program. By removing this rule, students get a sufficient time to accumulate all the required documents without feeling the stress and pressure of the limited period and expiration of their valid Study Permit.

It was rightly said by David Cohen, Senior Partner at the Campbell Cohen (A Canadian Immigration Law Firm), “This is huge news for international graduates who are applying for a Post-Graduation Work Permit. Doubling the amount of time they have to apply and allowing them to do so beyond the expiration date on their study visa will make a world of a difference for students who want to stay and gain valuable Canadian work experience.”

Post-Graduate Work Permit is an Open Work Permit that allows the students graduated from designated Canadian schools and universities to extend their stay in Canada for a period of 3 years and search a suitable work for them. The benefit of the PGWP is that International Students are not required to have a valid Canadian job offer at the time of submission. They can work for any organization and are needed to fall under Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill level 0, A, or B to qualify for permanent residence in Canada.


Foreign Education


Canada Education Services Canada Student Visa Student Visa Consultants Study in Canada