If you are planning to study abroad, you certainly are making one of the most rewarding decisions of your life. An overseas education experience is enriching, gives you a global exposure and benefits you in ways beyond your expectations.
No matter for how long you have been preparing for studying abroad You could never feel 100% prepared for life in a foreign country. Therefore, we bring for you some useful tips that you must checkout to make your study abroad experience worthwhile.
- Make sure all your paperwork formalities are done well on time. This is one thing that you should never leave for the last minute. Also, apply for your VISA on time and confirm that your passport is valid till your course ends.
- Stay well informed of the local laws, climatic conditions and culture of the country you are going to study in. Make sure you abide by the laws and legal system of the country.
- Ensure you have a health insurance to cover your any medical emergency that you may face. Also, carry certain medicines that you require often to save yourself from panicking if it is not available in the country you are travelling to.
- Make copies of your travel documents and identification, carry a copy of each with you along with the original copies and leave duplicate copies at home as well. This will help you in case you lose any of your documents.
- Make sure you have an International ATM card that does not charge you international transaction fees. Also, carry some currency of the country for any emergency.
- With change in currency it becomes difficult to manage expenses initially. Be smart about handling money and do not overspend. Set a weekly budget and keep track of your expenses.
- Money spending in a foreign place can easily get out of hand with the change in currency. Be smart about your spending, and set a realistic, affordable budget for yourself to keep track and stay in control!
- Do not go over the top when packing for abroad. Stop yourself from packing everything, you can buy most stuff in the country you are going to and at times it may even cost you less.
- Make friends with people from different regions across the world. You might feel that you are not in a comfort zone but it certainly will open doors for you to get a global perspective and see the world with a new light. Also, try to learn a new language.
- Immerse yourself in the local culture, respect traditions and practices of the country you are studying in. Engage with the locals and understand their perspective, There can be no better way than this to understand a country and its people.
- Say YES to every opportunity. Remember, studying abroad is a lifetime opportunity, make most of it. You may not get those opportunities again. Therefore it’s advisable to be active and enjoy every moment.